• Master of Architecture. School of Architecture and Allied Arts, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon. 1988
• Professional Title in Architectural Conservation. The International Center for the Study of the Preservation and the Restoration of Cultural Property (ICCROM), Rome, Italy. 1980
• Bachelor of Architecture. Ankara State Academy of Engineering and Architecture, Ankara, Turkey. 1
Awards and Honors
• Fall 2002 $1000 Grant, ASHRAE. (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers)
• Fall 2002 $6000 Grant, Awarded to Lawrence Technological University from the Michigan Department of Consumer &Industry Services.
• Summer 2002 $500000 Grant, Submitted by Lawrence Technological University to the DTE Energy Foundation. (I contributed Vital Sign Projects and fuel cell building application in to the grant)
• Spring 1987 Partial Tuition Scholarship, University of Oregon.
• 1985-1987 International Cultural Service Program (ICSP) Scholarship, University of Oregon.
• 1980 ICCROM-UNESCO Scholarship (allowed study at ICCROM, ten scholarships are granted yearly)
•1975 Registered Architect. Turkish Chamber of Architects, İstanbul, Turkey.
Professional Affiliations, Membership
• AIA, Associate, American Institute of Architect. USA.
• IESNA, Illuminating Society of North America. USA.
• ASHRAE, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers. USA.
• The Society of Building Science Educators. USA.
• Upland Hills Ecological Awareness Center. USA.
• American Solar Energy Society, Inc. USA.
• ICCROM (The International Centre for the Preservation and restoration of Cultural Property), Italy.
• Turkish Chamber of Architects, Turkey (authorized member).
• Turkish National Committee on Illumination, Turkey (authorized member).
• Turkish Acoustical Society, Turkey (authorized member).
• Part time Instructor, İzmir University of Economics , Teaching: Arch305 Architectural Environmental Control Systems and
Arch 304 Structural Design
• Part time Instructor, İstanbul Commerce University, Okan University, Bilgi University Teaching: Environmental Control Systems I & II, Architectural Lighting and Acoustical Design, Environmental Performance, Green Buildings
• Part time Instructor Kadir Has University. Teaching: Environmental Control Systems I & II, Architectural Lighting and Acoustical Design, Environmental Performance
• Instructor, University of Bahçeşehir, Teaching Environmental Systems I & II, Integrated Design Systems, Electrical Lighting and Color Application, Space, Design and Identity.
• Assistant Professor, Lawrence Technological University. Coordinator: Environmental Systems. Teaching: Environmental Systems I, II, Passive Design Strategies and Integrated Studio Design 4 and 3.
• Visiting Assistant Professor, Washington State University. Teaching: Environmental Control Systems I and II.
• Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of Oregon. Environmental Control Systems I, focusing on the thermal control of the built environment.
Spring Term 1988
• Graduate Teaching Fellow, University of Oregon. Vernacular Building: Type & Transformation, monitored all classes, lead discussion sessions, read exam papers and evaluated projects and lectured.
Winter Term 1988
• Graduate Teaching Fellow, University of Oregon. Administrative media work including guest lecturers’ presentation posters.
Winter & Fall Terms 1987
• Graduate Teaching Fellow, University of Oregon. Advance Structure, monitored all classes, lead discussion sessions, read exam papers and evaluated projects and lectured.
Professional Work Experience
• ALKOP Foundation Mosque - İstanbul - Turkey Lighting design consultant (Present)
• ÇEKÜL Foundation Consultancy and projects in Architectural Day Lighting & Electrical Lighting Design, Historic Building Restoration and Conservation and Acoustical Design. (Present)
• Koca Mustafa Paşa Street Gentrification Lighting Project – Ayvalık- Balıkesir - Turkey Lighting design consultant with ÇEKUL Foundation (2016)
• Adana Downtown Street Gentrification Lighting Design Projects. Turkey –Lighting design consultant with CEKUL Foundation (2016)
• HEPİSTANBUL Main Office Outdoor Lighting Design – Merter- İstanbul - Turkey –Lighting design Project (2015)
• Aydın. Resident - 250 sqm. Villas. Giresun - Turkey – Restoration- İnterior finishing/building materials and Lighting design consultant (2014)
• Çubuklu Valley Housing project. Between 191 - 505 sqm. Villas. İstanbul - Turkey – İnterior finishing/building materials and Lighting design consultant as DEKA INC. for FİBA-YÜKSEL INC. (2009)
• UMUR Printing INC. Headquatter Office- 4000 sqm- İstanbul - Turkey – Lighting and Acoustical design consultant for Nevzat Sayın Architects –NSMH. (October 2007)
• ACTERA, Office- 800 sqm- İstanbul - Turkey – Acoustical design consultant for Nevzat Sayın Architects –NSMH. (March-2007)
• Çamlıhemşin Cultural and Guest House- 1500 sqm- Rize - Turkey –Adapted reuse architectural design, Energy, Lighting and Acoustical architectural design. (February-2007)
• SANTRALİSTANBUL - 11.000 sqm- İstanbul - Turkey. Energy, Lighting and Acoustical architectural design consultant for İstanbul Bilgi University. Mart-Ağustos-2006
•Buda Resident - 400 sqm. Lighting consultant- Beykoz - İstanbul - Turkey. (2008)
• Bosphorus Bridge- Decorative Lighting design consultant for CITYLIGHT- İstanbul - Turkey. (2005)
• Lighting Design Consultant for Professional Lighting Magazine- Turkey, in İstanbul. (Present)
• Electrical and Daylighting design consultant and trainer at Total Lighting Inc. in İstanbul. (Oct.2004-July.2005)
• Design and Technical consultant for Turkish American Association in Michigan. (1997-2003)
•Designer at Oregon Dome Inc., Eugene, Oregon. Designing and Drafting with CAD as well as energy calculations. (June 1991-March 1993)
• Art related works in Eugene, Oregon. (1988-1991)
Professional Built Projects
• Freelance Sustainable Architecture and Planning Design Consultant: Various design for the different types of buildings, Turkey- See Work Experiences (Present)
• Freelance Architectural Energy, Lighting and Acoustical Design Consultant: Various indoor and outdoor lighting design for the different types of buildings, Turkey- See Work Experiences (Present)
• Solar Residence in Çanakkale, Turkey (1996)
• Designer at Oregon Dome Inc., USA (1991-1993)
Various geodesic domes: residences, office buildings, churches, school, bathhouse in USA and Japan
Various panelized, conventional building designs: low cost residences
• Solar Apartment Building in Ankara, Turkey (1991)
Publications and Presentations
co-author manual book for Garry Gordon’s Interior Lighting for Designer with Prof. Virginia North. 2003, Wiley Publication USA.
Journal and Edited Book Articles
• “Old”-“Barbarian”, “Vernacular”/versus/”New”, “Contemporary”, “Modern” What are the lighting concepts? Professional Lighting Design- Turkey, 10th issue October 2006
• “The sense and nonsense of coloured light”. Professional Lighting Design- Turkey, 7th issue March 2006
• “Why do we need ‘energy management’ and ‘sustainable lighting design for the sustainable tower”. Professional Lighting Design- Turkey, 6th issue January 2006
• “Ceazar’s rights to Ceazar”. Professional Lighting Design- Turkey, 5th issue October 2005
• “Environmental Conscious Lighting Design and Designer”. Professional Lighting Design- Turkey, 4rd issue August 2005
• “Miniature” and art of Light. Professional Lighting Design- Turkey, 3rd issue July 2005
• “Lighting design and application in Altınbaş jewelery store at Nuri Osmaniye.” Professional Lighting Design- Turkey, 2nd issue May 2005
• “Christmas Lighting Festival in Astana-Kajhakistan.” Professional Lighting Design- Turkey, 1st issue February 2005
• With Virginia North, Instructor Manual to Accompany Gary Gordon’s Interior Lighting for Designers, Forth Edition, Wiley, January 2003.
• With İnci Müstecaplioğlu, “SFMOMA: Bota’s Modern Monument” (in Turkish) in Mario Bota, 1998.
• With İnci Müstecaplioğlu, “SFMOMA: Bota’s Modern Monument” (in Turkish) in Arredamento Dekorasyon, June 1997.
• “Who are conscious buyers for intelligent and sustainable housing” (in Turkish) in Radikal, January 3rd 2008.
• “Mapping Energy Housing for Turkey” (in Turkish) in Radikal, May 14th 2007.
• “Global Warming and Water” (in Turkish) in Radikal, March 25th 2007.
• with Sinem Çakır, Bilge Işık “Energy Efficent Building in Cyprus”, Kerpic’08- Learning from Earthen Architecture in Climate Change- International Conference 5th September 2008, Lefkosa- Northern Cyprus.
• Keynote Speaker. “City, Energy and Ecology”, Eurosolar Turkey - Annual Conference.
9-11-2005, İzmir -Turkey
• “For Love of Nature and Land: Grey World, Green Heart and Green Architecture.” 2002 ACSA Annual Conference.
• With Rochelle Martin, “Across Disciplinary Borders.” 2001 ACSA Western Region Conference.
• “When Global Becomes Local.” 2001 ACSA Western Region Conference, “Borderlands: Contested Terrain”.
• “Mapping Residential Identities, Culture and Globalization.” 2001 IAPS International Conference June 19-21, 2001 Amasya, Turkey.
• “The Paradoxical Relationship between Ecology and Modern technology in the “Fırtına River Valley”.” 2001 ACSA International Conference June 15-19, 2001, Istanbul, Turkey.
• “The low energy water supply system in Istanbul and Bodrum: Between 4th century AD to 2000.” Presented at the International Passive Low Energy Architecture “Architecture City Environment” Conference July 2000, Cambridge, United Kingdom. Published in Proceedings, PLEA 2000.
• “Conserving Green Architecture in Çamlıhemşin.” Accepted paper for 2000 World Congress on Environmental Design for the New Millennium, Nov. 13-17, 2000, Seoul Korea.
• “Heritage and Modernity: A Sustainable Rearticulation.” Presented at the ACSA Northeast Regional Meeting, September 1997. Published in ACSA Northeast Regional Proceedings, 1997.
• “Passive Design Strategies in Vernacular Housing in Turkey.” Presented at the American Solar Energy Society, Solar 94 Conference in San Jose, California, June 25-30, 1994. Published in S. Burley and M. E. Arden, 19th National Passive Solar Conference Proceedings, Boulder: American Solar Energy Society, 1994.
• “Alternative Passive Design Strategies in Conventional Housing in Ankara, Turkey.” Presented at the American Solar Energy Society, Solar 93 Conference in Washington D.C., April 25-28, 1993. Published in S. Burley and M. E. Arden, 19th National Passive Solar Conference Proceedings, Boulder: American Solar Energy Society, 1993.
• “Basic Problems for the Conservation of the Historical Environment in Turkey.” Rome, Feb. 27, 1980.
• “Conservation Problems of Cappadocia.” Rome, April 17, 1980.
• Co-authored with Noelle Soren, Randall Copeland, and Richard Byrne, “Investigation of the Existing Conditions of San Benedetto in Piscinula.” (Course project during ICCROM’s 1980 ARC, Rome.)
• “Environmentally Conscious Architectural Design as an Alternative Strategy in Ankara, Turkey.” Master Thesis in Architecture, University of Oregon, Eugene, 1988.
Research, Teaching and Professional Interest
• Environmentally, Socially and Economically intelligent Sustainable Architecture and planning.
• Environmentally, Socially and Economically intelligent Energy use in Architecture, Lighting Design and Acoustical Design in Architecture and planning.